Garage Door Repair Company in North York
Fixadoor Garage Doors
1877 Leslie St, North York, ON M2L 2G2
North York in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) is a lovely place in which to live.
But there are times when it can be a little challenging – like when you need your garage door repaired and you don’t know whether the company you have called is going to do a good job or not!
Well, one way to see if the garage door repair company you have contacted will do a fair and honest job on a key part of your house is to know what they are talking about!
So, here’s a crash course on what you should know about garage door repairs so that you don’t get taken for a ride!
Parts of a Garage Door
Thankfully, there aren’t too many parts to a garage door! Here’s the list:
- The door
- The tracks on which the door rolls
- The motorhead that pulls the door’s chain or belt
- The motor rail that is connected to the belt or chain
- The torsion bar or the springs that lift the garage door
- The stick that connects the belt/chain to the door
- The safety sensors located at the bottom of the door
- An emergency release lever
- The locking mechanism
- The remote control or the open/close switch
The Most Common Problems
The most common problems for which you need to call a company that offers garage door repair in North York are:
Garage Door is Making Noises
Here are the noises that you should look out for and what they mean:
- Squeaking/Grinding: It’s most probably the rollers. If they’re worn out, they will need to be replaced and that’s when you need to call a garage door repair company. But if they’re not lubricated, you can do that by yourself.
- Rattling: If you hear your garage door rattling, then it’s usually the screws, nuts or bolts. Just get a socket wrench and tighten all the nuts, bolts and screws. However, if the noise persists, then you will need to call in the repairman.
- Popping: A popping noise will usually mean that the spring either needs to be adjusted or lubricated. Since it is really dangerous to handle these parts, it is best to call a technician to do the job.
Garage Door Moving Unevenly
If your garage door is not moving smoothly, then it could be that there is something blocking the tracks.
You can take a look at the tracks and if you see the obstruction, you can take it out.
The best thing is to check the tracks regularly and wipe them down frequently so you don’t face such issues.
However, if it is not the tracks, then it is the springs.
And in that case, you will need to call a garage door repair company.
Garage Door Stops Working Suddenly
Most of the time, this problem is because the batteries in the remote control have died out.
Try changing the batteries first. If that doesn’t work, then you will need to call a technician to carry out a diagnostic check.
Garage Door Doesn’t Open All the Way
If your garage door doesn’t open all the way, it could be that the photo eye sensors are dirty.
Clean them first and then try again.
If that doesn’t work, then there could be an obstruction on the track.
Garage Door Slams Shut
This is serious! This means that the springs are broker. You need to call a repairman immediately!
Garage Door Opens and Shuts on Its Own!
No, your garage door is not possessed! It is an electric circuit problem and it best people to handle this job are the garage door repair companies.
Garage Door Repair in North York – FAQ
How long does it take to replace a garage door?
Roughly 3 to 4 hours, if done properly. It could take less depending on the repair that is needed.
How often should my a garage door be serviced?
Your garage door is a large piece of moving equipment made up of many parts. Some families use their garage door more than their front door. We recommend having your garage door and operator serviced every year in order to ensure a properly working door and operator. The noises your door or operator makes are your initial warning signs that something is not quite right. The longer you put off the necessary service, the more damage may result.
How long do garage door springs usually last?
The most common torsion springs have an expected life of about 10,000 cycles (one opening and one closing is a cycle.)
What is the life span of a garage door opener?
The average life span of a door opener can vary from 10 to 20 years depending on the model and usage.